WESTLAND, Mich. –– Winter is finally upon us, although, with December's weather, it sure hasn't felt like it. Still, bring on the snow, freezing rain, and sleet as we move deeper into Michigan's coldest months. During this time, it's important for your vehicle to be prepared for harsh road conditions, but you, the driver, must be equally prepared. That's why we've compiled a list of safe driving tips for Michigan winter weather to help you navigate the treacherous Mitten roads without any issues this year.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly. The best way for you to regain traction and avoid skidding is by applying the gas slowly. If the roads are icy, start decelerating to give yourself plenty of time to stop at red lights and stop signs.
- Be mindful of your brakes. If you have anti-lock brakes, do not pump the brakes. Apply steady pressure to the brakes and you will feel them pulse, which is completely normal. For standard brakes, pump them gently.
- Take caution on overpasses, bridges, or infrequently traveled roads. If conditions are wet, regardless if the temperature is above freezing, you are still able to encounter ice on exposed roadways.
- Your windshield and headlights should remain clean. Brush off any snow or ice before you start your drive!
- Do not use cruise control or overdrive while on icy roads.
- If you get stuck, do not spin your wheels in the snow. Doing this will only dig you deeper. Turn your wheels from side to side a few times to push snow out of the way.
- Do not pass snow plows or salting trucks. These drivers have limited visibility and the roads in front of them tend to be worse. Your best option is to stay several car lengths behind them.
Use these safe driving tips for Michigan winter weather to get through the harsh months ahead. If you need help preparing your car for the season or have any other questions, contact North Brothers Ford, located at 33300 Ford Rd Westland, MI, 48185. We're proudly serving as one of the premier dealerships in Metro Detroit. We're committed to exceptional customer service! Stop by or give us a call at 888-806-7163, our knowledgeable and helpful sales team will be more than happy to assist you!