WESTLAND, Mich. –– How well do you really know Santa Claus? If you're wondering what makes the portly, bearded fellow in a red suit the legend he is, check out this short history of Santa Claus in eight listed facts.
A Short History of Santa Claus in 8 Facts
- Santa Claus is based on St. Nicholas, a charitable 4th-century Bishop of Myra, a city in Turkey known for his charitable attitude and generosity towards others.
- Santa Claus was a bachelor until James Rees wrote the short story A Christmas Legend in 1849 and introduced Mrs. Claus as as Santa Claus' wife.
- Around the world, Santa Claus is referred to by many names: Saint Nicholas, St. Nick, Father Christmas, Black Peter, Kris Kringle, Pere Noel, La Befana, Sinter Klaas and, of course, Santa, to name a few.
- Due to international time zones, Santa Claus has 31 hours to deliver presents
- To deliver presents in 31 hours, Santa Claus would have to travel at a speed of 4,796,250 mph.
- Santa's nine reindeer are named Rudolph, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen
- Santa Claus wore a green suit before his red suit, which originated in paintings and, famously, Coca-Cola advertisements.
- In his book, A History of New York, from 1809, Washington Irivng describes Santa Claus as a portly, bearded man who smokes a pipe and squeezes down chimneys to deliver gifts
As you head into Christmas and the New Year, make sure your vehicle is ready to battle the winter roads. Check out our tips for saving fuel here. If your vehicle needs any last-minute maintenance taken care of before 2016 comes with snow, ice, and other inclement weather, check out our winter driving tips.
North Brothers Ford is located at 33300 Ford Rd Westland, MI 48185 and proudly serves as one of the premier dealerships in Metro Detroit, and is committed to exceptional customer service! Stop by or give us a call at 888-806-7163, our knowledgeable and helpful sales team will be more than happy to assist you!