WESTLAND, Mich. –– Frostbite is caused when our body tissue, usually in the fingers, toes, ears, or nose, freezes due to prolonged exposure. Depending on the temperature, it can take as little as 30 minutes for frostbite to occur if you aren't properly bundled up. We complied a list of tips on how to stay warm and prevent frostbite if you must go outside!
- Wear mittens instead of gloves.
- Use multiple thin layers of clothing rather than one or two thick layers. More layers means more resistance of warm air escaping from the body.
- Bring children in the house every hour to warm up. Children are more prone to frostbite since they lose heat much faster than adults.
- Make sure shoes and boots are not too tight.
- Wear a hat or ski mask to protect the ears and nose.
- Wear waterproof shoes if you will be in the snow or if you expect to get wet.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes. Both increase the body's vulnerability to the cold.
If you notice signs of skin redness, pain, or numbness try treating by exposing chilled skin to WARM, not HOT, water. If more pain, discoloration, or blistering develops after a couple hours, seek medical attention immediately.
North Brothers Ford asks that you please remember these tips on how to stay warm and prevent frostbite during this brutal winter weather. One of the best places to keep warm if you're out and about and feeling a little too cold is your vehicle. We offer a great selection of used and new vehicles. North Brothers Ford is here to help you find the vehicle that meets all of your driving needs!
North Brothers Ford is located at 33300 Ford Rd Westland, MI, 48185, and we're proudly serving as one of the premier dealerships in Metro Detroit. We're committed to exceptional customer service! Stop by or give us a call at 888-806-7163, our knowledgeable and helpful sales team will be more than happy to assist you!