Before: Get Your Vehicle Inspected
The best way to prevent or reduce your chances of a breakdown is to get your vehicle inspected. Schedule an appointment with us at North Brothers Ford and we'll do a full inspection to make sure your vehicle is in proper working condition before hitting the road this summer. We'll be happy to give you an estimate on any maintenance costs, as well. If you're looking to make the most of your money, consider utilizing some of our coupons to save some extra road trip cash that could come in handy later!
Before: Prepare a Roadside Emergency Kit
Keeping a roadside emergency kit in your vehicle will prove extremely useful in the event that it breaks down. Having the tools you need to get yourself back on the road, will help eliminate the need for a tow truck and costly repairs from an unfamiliar auto shop. While a roadside emergency kit can contain many items, we've outlined a few extremely important tools and objects to keep on hand, including:
- A spare tire, jack, and tire iron
- Jumper cables
- Engine coolant
- Water, snacks, and a first-aid kit
- Basic tools (screwdriver, wrench, pliers, etc.)
During: Remain Safe and Calm
In the event that you run into vehicle problems on the road, such as your engine overheating or a flat tire, make sure you're cautious and don't ignore the issue. Make sure everyone in your vehicle is okay and that you're able to safely pull over on the shoulder or side of the road. If your vehicle does run into trouble, follow this 5-step plan to safely handle a breakdown:
- Turn on your hazard lights and pull over at a safe distance from traffic. This will give you room to assess any damage done to your vehicle and you can pop your hood if you need it.
- Keep an eye on your surroundings: Are you on the backroads, or a highway? Are you able to contact help using your phone? How close are you to the nearest gas station? How well-lit is the area you pulled over at? This information can help you remain safe and secure in the event of a breakdown and can help you alleviate any stress you may have during the process.
- Take a look at the damage to your vehicle. Is your tire flat? Is your engine smoking? Take note of anything you notice and write it down if you can.
- If possible, try to perform the repairs on your own. If you have a flat tire, switch it out for a spare, but if you aren't sure what to do, don't be afraid to ask for help. Call the police or a towing company and explain the situation. They'll be able to help you in no time!
- If you were able to successfully replace your vehicle's tire or perform maintenance or get a tow truck, make sure to take your vehicle to the nearest dealership or auto shop right away for professional assistance to make sure your vehicle is alright. If you're still in the Detroit area, North Brothers Ford will help tow your vehicle and get everything taken care of as fast as possible. Contact us in the event of an emergency!
After: Keep a Record of the Event
After you get your vehicle looked at and take it into the nearest dealership or auto shop, make sure you let the mechanic know exactly what happened from start to finish. If you are able to give the mechanic a detailed description of what happened, it will help them work on your repairs at a much quicker rate, and it may get you back on the road quickly. Don't forget to keep a record of your repairs if the problem persists to prevent any additional costs. If your vehicle's repair will take longer than expected, make sure you ask if they offer rental vehicles. Making sure you're back on the road and enjoying your vacation is important, especially after a stressful vehicle breakdown.
Road trips, while very enjoyable, can also be extremely unpredictable. Preparing yourself for any situation big or small is necessary if you want to maximize your fun on your vacation. Knowing what to do if your car breaks down on a road trip will help you save time and money this summer out on the road. Don't forget to schedule an appointment with us before you leave for your vacation so we can make sure your vehicle is up to speed!
North Brothers Ford is located at 33300 Ford Rd Westland, MI 48185 and proudly serves as one of the premier dealerships in Metro Detroit, and is committed to exceptional customer service! Stop by or give us a call at 888-806-7163, our knowledgeable and helpful sales team will be more than happy to assist you!
Visit our website: http://www.northbrosford.net
Follow us on social media: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and Google+